Our door-to-door community transport service is available to anyone in the borough of Great Yarmouth. If you struggle with using buses and taxis, our easy-to-access minibuses could help you to get around, remain independent and stay in touch with your community.
For many people it’s a lifeline that helps them remain active and reduce their reliance on family, friends and carers.
Our fleet of 9 fully accessible minibuses have secure anchor points for wheelchairs, tail-lifts for access and friendly, helpful drivers to get you safely aboard. It’s an affordable service that can be used for practically anything – from getting to medical appointments and the bank to going shopping and visiting friends. It can also:
- Enable you to take up a volunteering role or paid employment.
- Get to and from a local club or society.
- Go out to lunch.
- Visit the theatre or cinema.
- Enjoy a picnic as you set sail on the Norfolk Broads.
For many of our door-to-door members Centre 81’s Community Transport Service is their ‘Social Club on Wheels’.
The service is available from 10.30am to 3.30pm from Monday to Friday and can be used by:
- Anyone with a disability.
- Anyone assisting the person they are with to get around the shops and acting as an escort.
- Elderly people who are frail.
- People living in areas not served by public transport.
- Anyone who needs transport to access volunteering or work opportunities.
- Anyone over 16 who wishes to travel independently.
- Anyone under 16 accompanied by an adult.
You can become a member or book a journey by calling 01493 332253.
Become a member
Everyone who uses our community transport needs to be a member. This costs just £10 a year. We are not a bus or taxi service, we are something different, and our service is special. Centre 81’s drivers will help you get from your home to the bus and at the end of your visit or day out will make sure you get back safely to your home. Journey costs are much less than a taxi and a bit more than public transport fares. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept concessionary bus passes.
Click on the pdf file below, complete the application form and return your it with your membership fee of £10 to Centre 81, Yare House, Morton Peto Road, Great Yarmouth NR31 0LT. Once we’ve received it we will contact you by phone to discuss your transport needs and the journeys you wish to make.
We also support local clubs and societies by providing transport for their members. This can help your group to retain a feasible membership and your members can enjoy trips out as part of the group experience. You can book your group’s journey by calling 01493 332253.
Norfolk and Norwich Hospital Transport
We can offer transport to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for anyone living within the borough of Great Yarmouth. Our driver will collect you from home and take you to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. If required, they will wait for you whilst you attend your appointment and then bring you safely home.
There is a charge fixed charge of £45 which includes temporary membership, plus £10 per hour for every hour that the driver waits. For example: a two hour appointment would cost £45 plus £20 waiting time at total of £65.
This service has been designed for day patients. However, if your needs are different please call us on 014933 332253 and we will be happy to try and help.
If you need transport and we have not covered it here then please call us on 01493 332253 to discuss your needs and we will be happy to see if we can help.
Terms and Conditions
- We operate under Section 19 of the Local Transport Act.
- We can accommodate an extensive range of mobility aids, including custom-built manual and electric wheelchairs. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to take large mobility scooters on our buses. If you need to travel with your scooter, please check with us first on 01493 332253.
- We understand that some people need more than one mobility aid throughout the day and in some circumstances we can accommodate both a wheelchair and mobility walker.
- We can provide transport for children under the age of 16 and have booster seats to meet legal requirements. If your son or daughter needs a child safety seat this should be provided by an accompanying adult. Please contact us to check the seat/bus compatibility.
- Passenger assistant dogs are welcome.